Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Feelings of failure

Yesterday and still somewhat today was a day I was absolutely feeling like a failure as a mother. Even though as I was having these emotions little girl and I were both dressed, her hair was done, we were feed, the dishwasher had been emptied, breakfast dishes where done, several work phone calls and emails had been taken care of and little girl was contently playing with her books.
I felt like I was failing my daughter. She is so sweet and so smart. I feel like I should be doing more structure activities with her each day and getting her out to experience new things. I feel like I am not doing enough to teach and guide her. (yes I know I keep going back and forth between past and present tense. It was more overwhelming yesterday but many of the emotions are still there.)
While feeling this way I stumble on someone's Facebook post which is a. Link to this article www.deseretnews.com/article/76560214/dear-sweet-mom-who-feels-like-shes-failing.html?pg=1
Let's see if that works:). Anyway it talks about how I am not a failure and that as a mom I am doing well. Then I also came across my friends blog post for Monday at www.thejoysofboys.com about prioritizing and also taking out time for me.
Today was a better day. I was quite productive including in work, house work, mom time, financial planning for this month, finding something for me time etc. However, because I didn't get one of the activities done with little girl that I wanted to get done I still don't feel like I did enough. There were 21 things on my to do list. I completed 19 so far today and I still am feeling like it isn't enough. What is wrong with me?!? Seriously, when I look at that on writing I think that I am being ridiculous.
Now the challenge will be to change my mind set. To start seeing everything I did get done and not what I didn't get done. So I didn't finger paint with Jana today, I did read to her several times throughout the day, go outside to play, tickled, kissed, sung to and held her, feed her, bathed her, read scriptures, said prayers and sung to her. It isn't like I ignored her completely, one thing didn't get done and we both survived. Why as a woman and a mother am I do hard on myself? Who knows. But my goal as of this moment is still to organize and make to do list, but also start seeing all the things I did get done and enjoying the time I do spend with my little one.

I know this seems like a downer of a post and somewhat rambling yet writing it out has assisted me with seeing it a little clearer.

3 comments:

  1. I think every mom feels these things and yes, writing them down can be a form of therapy. Many things you said were great reminders for me as well. Take it easy on your self. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the same article today. I have felt those exact feelings too thinking every other mom is doing such a better job in every way than me. I struggle all the time with thinking I am not spending enough time with my kids. All your babies will remember at this time is your snuggles, songs, reading and love and one day you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you call you one year old "spawn of satan." Because I did. I think you're fine.

    ReplyDelete