This is some what long and rambling. So I understand if you don't want to read it. It is all the details of Miss Jana Grace coming into the world.
So I decided I should get this typed out before much longer otherwise I might forget things.
We went to my doctor's appointment on June 3 at 9am. I met with my doctor and then started all my testing. I was dilated to a 1+ and was 30%. Then they hooked me up to the nonstress test and Miss Jana's heart rate dropped a couple of times. Before I had been hooked up Dr. Laine was going to have me go up to the hospital at 8pm that night. After the NST she decided that she wanted me to go straight up to the hospital. However, she called up to LDS and they just couldn't take me then. So they were going to call me when it was time for me to come up. So I should just go home and get ready.
At 3:45 I got a phone call and they told me to head up to the hospital. And away we went. For those of you who remember I had been preparing to do the birth natural and had done hypnobirthing. So I made sure I had my music and relaxation stuff with me.
We got there and because missy's heartbeat had been dropping I had to be hooked up to monitors. Which also made me tied to the bed. Not the best for hypnobirthing. They started me on medication to soften my cervix. Also I got to be on IV's because I was Strep B positive. About 6:30pm on Friday I really had to go to the bathroom. So I paged the nurse so she could help me unhook from everything. She got me unhooked and I stood up to go to the bathroom and was completely surprised. I was peeing....or that i all I could figure out. I had never just stood up and peed, and I wasn't. My water had just broken. My nurse informed me that my water had just broken and I felt much better because I hadn't peed on the floor.
So they decided not to give me any more medication to soften my cervix but to see if where I was at and if my body would progress on its own. So at that point I was at a 3 and 80%. They hooked me back up to the monitors. They said my contractions where moderate and I laid in my bed and did relaxation stuff. I was even able to fall asleep for a while. At 11pm my body hadn't progressed further. They called my doctor and talked to her. She said give it until 1am and if it hadn't progressed to start me on pitocin. 1am came and nothing had happened and so the fun began.
The pitocin made my contractions sooooo much worse I was not having a great time. It was also hard because a lot of the techniques like the birth ball, bathing, and other things were not really available because every time I moved around we would lose her heartbeat on the monitor. So I really had to stay still. About 4am the contractions were just nightmarish and with the pitocin no break in between. I began throwing up and was just miserable. Kevin asked me if I wanted an epidural a couple of times and I had said no. But after throwing up a couple of times I said "I don't know!" Kevin looked at me and said "Well you didn't say no, so I am going to go get the nurse." When the nurse came in she wanted to talk about what I wanted to do. I asked her to check me to see if I had progressed at all. I hadn't! By this time 4 hours of this and no progress! AHHH! I felt like if I had progressed I could have kept going but with no progression I felt there was no way I could keep doing this. So I caved an got an epidural. There were done giving me the epidural about 5:30am on Saturday. By 6am I had progressed from a 3 to a 6 and was 100%.
With the epidural I was shaking uncontrollable for a while. I was a little concerned about this but the nurse said it was normal. I was laying on my side and was drifting off to sleep at one point and the convulsions started. Unfortunately my hands were by my face and I smacked myself in the face. I started laughing and then had to share with Kev what I had done. I was able to fall asleep at this point for about an hour and a half. When I woke up I realized I hadn't moved at all and could no longer roll over because I could not move my lower leg. The nurse had to come roll me. It was kind of funny.
So then the time goes by. My doctor had called to find out how I was doing and was going to go over to the other hospital for rounds first. Which was fine because we were just hanging out. At about 8:00 I told the nurse that I was feeling a lot of pressure. I didn't know what that meant but it felt like something was going on, I told her. She said my doctor would be there soon so she didn't want to check me she would wait for the doctor. At about 8:30 I told the nurse again, I am feeling a ton of pressure. She decided to go ahead and check me and she told me I was complete. She would try and find out where the doctor was. For the next while the pressure started happening more often and not only was I feeling pressure but stretching. I let the nurse know this. I told her I felt like the baby was ready to come, but I had never done this before so I could be wrong. She went to check and see what was going on with the doctor.
When Dr. Laine got there she talked to me for a minute and then said let me check on this baby. She lifted my leg and said "Oh there is a head, we are going to have this baby." I looked at them and said, "I told you there was pressure and stretching." They let me know that a lot of people say that and there isn't much happening.
So we had a baby. I pushed three times and the little girl was out. Kev was funny and said "She is purple and blue." The doctor said, don't say that! Then I told Kev to come touch her and he replied that she was still covered in gross stuff or something. She was up on my chest skin to skin. We didn't cut the umbilical cord until after it stopped pulsating. Kev cut it.
Then they took her and weighed her and wiped her off a little. Then I had her back. She is just perfect and we are so excited to have her.
Dr. Laine was then looking at the placenta. She told us that the umbilical cord was attached to the wrong place in the placenta. That it was attached to the membranes instead of the side of the placenta. That we were lucky because the connection could have ruptured at any time and that this was probably why her fluid had been low.
My recovery has been good. The delivery was pretty easy. Dr. Laine told me that it was not normal how easy it was. That if I wanted to do it natural next time I would probably be able to easily. Overall everything has gone well since this cute little girl was born.
We stayed in the hospital until Sunday and then they let us come home. I asked if I could instead of staying another day.
As a side note when Sausha came we found out that Jana and Esther were both delivered in the same room and we were in the same recovery room.
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so excited to read this story! Thank you for recording all of it! I'm also glad this wasn't too horrible of an experience for you and that you were actually able to nap and giggle a few times. Of course you would. You are sunshine. I love you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing - I love to read birth stories! Congratulations again! Also, that's really cool that Esther and Jana were born in the same room. :)
ReplyDelete